Brush Up Your Beauty Routine: A Step-by-Step Guide to Cleaning Your Makeup Brushes
Cleaning your makeup brushes is an important step in your beauty routine that shouldn't be overlooked. Dirty brushes can harbor bacteria, which can lead to breakouts and other skin problems. Here's how to clean your makeup brushes:
1. Gather your supplies: You will need a bowl, a bar of soap ( we recommend Sards ), and a clean towel.
2. Wet the bristles: Hold the brush under warm running water with the bristles pointing downwards. Avoid getting water on the handle or the ferrule (the metal part that attaches the bristles to the handle), as this can loosen the glue that holds the bristles in place.
3. Apply soap: Gently swirl the brush into the bar of soap, working up a lather.
4. Rinse the bristles: Hold the brush under warm running water with the bristles pointing downwards. Gently squeeze the bristles ensuring to remove any excess water and cleanser.
5. Repeat if necessary: If the brush is particularly dirty, you may need to repeat steps 3 and 4 until the water runs clear.
6. Reshape the bristles: Gently reshape the bristles with your fingers, being careful not to pull or tug on them.
7. Dry the brush: Lay the brush flat on a clean towel to dry. Make sure that the bristles are hanging over the edge of the towel, so that they can air dry completely.
- It's best to clean your makeup brushes at least once a week, especially if you use them every day.
Never Soak your brushes as this can damage the bristles and loosen the glue that holds them in place. It will also make the handles swell if they are wooden causing the paint to crack & metallic handles will lose their colour & metal shine.
- Avoid using hot water to clean your brushes, as this can damage the bristles and cause them to shed.
- Be gentle when cleaning your brushes, as rough handling can damage the bristles and shorten their lifespan.
Cleaning your makeup brushes is an easy and important step in your beauty routine that can help keep your skin healthy and prevent breakouts. By following these simple steps, you can ensure that your brushes are clean and in good condition for your next use. Plus give your brushes a much longer lifetime !